The Improving Access to Psychological Therapies program began in 2008 to improve access to services for adult patients in England with anxiety and depression. Refer to the AWP website for further information
Across BNSSG IAPT services are provided by:
Bristol Wellbeing Therapies - Bristol
South Gloucestershire Talking Therapies - South Glos
Positive Step & NS Wellbeing Service - North Somerset
Bristol Wellbeing Therapies
Bristol Wellbeing Therapies (BWT) is the gateway into Bristol’s NHS funded primary care service. BWT conduct all the assessments into this free and confidential service.
Therapies are provided by a range of different providers for adults of all ages.
The current wait for assessment is around a month. Patients can self refer by calling 0117 9823209
South Gloucestershire Talking Therapies
South Gloucestershire Talking Therapies are the gateway for the NHS talking therapy services within South Gloucestershire. They provide access to a range of therapeutic interventions in line with people's differing emotional needs.
Patients can self-refer to their services via the website (link above) by either completing a registration form or by booking directly on to one of their introductory level psycho-educational courses.
Positive Step - NS
Positive Step is a partnership service with staff employed by Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust and Second Step.
Wellness Advisors are employed by Second Step and provide the initial assessment of patient needs, facilitate courses and offer 1:1 therapy either by telephone or face to face.
Therapists are employed by AWP. They are all trained to deliver cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) and offer this either 1:1 or via therapy groups.
North Somerset Wellbeing Service
Local charity Second Step is launching a new mental health service in North Somerset on 10 October 2018. The charity promises the new North Somerset Wellbeing Service will fill a gap in current mental health provision with its recovery-focused activities
The service is for people whose mental health condition limits their personal independence and who need support with their personal recovery beyond that offered through their GP at primary care. It aims to reduce people needing to access secondary mental health services as well as providing a pathway for those in need of additional support to manage the transition from secondary services into the community successfully.
Referral Criteria - NS Wellbeing Service Referral form
Clients eligible for the service will:
- be aged 18 or older
- be in need of mental health support beyond that offered through their GP at primary care
- need support with personal recovery to manage their mental health and wellbeing within the community (either to prevent need for secondary mental health services or in transition from secondary services to the community)
- be willing to work in partnership with the Wellbeing Service on their recovery and wellbeing
- be registered with a North Somerset GP or be eligible to register
- People who are acutely unwell
- People with a diagnosis of severe learning disability
- People who pose a significant risk of harm to themselves or others and who require a more intensive level of support
- People whose primary need for intervention relates to substance or alcohol misuse
To refer or to find out more about the service, please contact Hannah Young on 0333 023 3504 or email: NSWellbeing@second-step.co.uk
Off the Record is a charity which provides free and confidential mental health support and information to young people aged 11-25
Bristol Mind offer information, sign-posting, low cost counselling, various help lines and other support