Vascular Nurse Specialist Clinic
Patient’s with the following conditions should be referred to Vascular Specialist Nurse Clinic:
• Incidental asymptomatic AAA < 5.5 cm (assessment, CV risk reduction & surveillance)
• Intermittent claudication (confirmation of diagnosis, CV risk reduction & discussion of conservative management, supervised exercise or referral angioplasty or bypass)
• Non-healing venous ulcers
• Varicose veins* - requires Prior Approval - see Varicose Vein Surgery Policy
• Axillary hyperhidrosis* - requires Exceptional Funding - see Hyperhidrosis Treatment Policy
- ABPI – this can be booked via ICE at NBT, UHB & RUH or direct to the Vascular Studies Department at NBT for ABPI and treadmill testing.
- Arterial and Venous Duplex ultrasound – this can be booked direct on ICE at NBT, UHB & RUH.
- MR Angiogram
- CT Angiogram
- Supervised exercise for claudication – class run at BRI but referrals should be made via the CNS clinic (eRS)
Prior to referral please supply the following test results:
- FBC, U&E (including eGFR), Glucose, Fasting Lipids (TC,LDL-C,HDL-C,TGs), HbA1c (diabetics).
- For peripheral arterial disease – ABPIs.
- For abdominal aortic aneurysm – USS aorta (measure inner to inner diameter)
Referrals can be made directly or via ICE for ABPI or arterial or venous duplex ultrasound (see above).
All other referrrals should be made via eRS.